Thursday, January 17, 2013

Formula One, not just a mens sport.

Whenever anyone asks me "what's your passion?" I always answer " Formula One". And the amount of times people have looked at me in disgust and said " But your a girl..."
So, what? Is there a law that forbids girls to like Formula One? I think not. And what surprises me more than anything else is that these people actually have no idea about the sport to start with.... But are still willing to criticize the drivers, the cars and the fans.

Last week in Philosophy class, we were talking about being prepared to die and is anyone really ever prepared for the inevitable? Well, my answer was that some people will be more prepared than others. For example I think Formula One drivers, knowing the risks they face every time they get behind the wheel, are more prepared then maybe an artist.

A girl in my class disagreed, nothing new there, and to my horror said that Formula One wasn't a dangerous sport at all, that it's impossible to die out on circuit cause the drivers take no risks.

I then went on to ask her if she had ever seen a F1 race in her life and she said "No..." I preceded to tell her that the driver round a narrow circuit at speed of up to 320 km/h, she continued to disagree with me. Then to my absolute delight 4 other GIRLS in my class turned around and backed me up.

Turns out us 5 girls knew more about F1 than all the boys in our class put together. So before you judge me about liking Formula One make sure you know what you're talking about first. Because Formula One isn't just a mens sport!!

No comments:

Post a Comment